Welcome to Hot Mama Sauce

Hot Mama Sauce ... A blog site for smart mamas, their mates, partners and anyone else interested in real mothers and their original stories.

I am your host, Morgy, but I've invited some other wickedly smart women to share their mothering triumphs, tips and, tribulations here.

I'd like this to be a place for moms ... real moms who've been through it all or are on the road to being through it all to share their stories, funny, sad, triumphant, aggravating, loving stories and everything in between, tips that worked or what not to do, successes, failures, hard times and easy times.

Friday, June 1, 2007

My Humps

I have a four-year-old who at three started singing that "My Humps" song. We thought it was pretty hilarious at the time, but when you think about - it's not. It's especially not when that same four-year-old says, "I can't go anywhere because I look ugly. People will think this outfit is dumb. I look like a boy when my hair is pulled back." I believe this is a direct result of my child's exposure to certain media.

This along with several other factors have led my husband and I to just about eliminate TV in our house. Last summer we went 100% TV free and this school year we allow our four-year-old one half-hour PBS cartoon about three or four times a week, and our eleven-year-old gets special permission to watch selected programming throughout the week - and that usually amounts to about one to one and half hours per week! (Sometimes she doesn't even ask - because she's busy doing other things!)

When Victoria's Secret ads and clips of the latest local shooting from the 10 o'clock news are run in the middle of "Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving Special," you, as a parent, can't control what the kids see. Eliminating that source of influence, rids you of many problems.

They're still going to see stuff - I realize this. They see it at their TV-obsessed relatives' houses; they will see it at friends' houses; they will see it at the doctor's office, but I like to limit what they see in *my* house. And, when we watch a movie, we watch it together and talk about it. I'm sure it sounds like we're controlling parents and we are to an extent, but only when it's for the good of our daughters' self-perception and brain power.

Now that there is no TV to run to at their first inkling of boredom, my kids brains worked harder than they ever have. I have never seen so much role-playing, reading, outdoor activity, daily creativity or coping skills in my kids prior to this. And, they get along better. (They still have moments ... there's a seven year gap ... )

AND, it's been good for me too. I read more, I'm not constantly bombarded by violence and gratuitous medical scenes, I don't catch myself drooling as I watch another cookie cutter episode of "Law and Order" (I still love that show thought - just don't watch it unless the kids are gone and I need some "brain-free" time.) I create more art; I'm more patient with the kids; I no longer find myself Jonesin' for "reality" TV by 6 P.M.

So, freedom from TV may not for everyone - but maybe consider limiting the media your children are exposed to.

Also - we listen to a local alternative rock station sometimes, but when a song about "Pain without love...", or something similar comes on, we change it to the oldies station. We avoid stations that play "My Humps" but if it happens to come on, we listen, have fun, but talk about why we don't sing it in public.

Bottom line - our family has a ton of dialogue. We're not afraid of the media we just choose not to worship it (thus giving it power) like many families do - whether they realize it or not.

This article and articles similar to it can be found at
Helium.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This article resonates so deeply with me. My son, who is now 18yrs. of age was raised without TV. Yes, we had a TV in our home, but we only utilized it when viewing a video that was carefully chosen by his father or myself.

When we bought the piece of property where my son and I still reside, there was NO cable available in the area and unless you wanted your life to revolve around play-dates with the roof top antenna, you just came to terms with the fact that you simply had to do without.

Thankfully, being without a TV never really presented itself as being a problem, that is of course, until the 'young steed' entered middle school. This journey is indeed a chapter all on its own and we shall journey down that road at a later date.

At present: We have a 65" TV in our family room, a 36" TV in our computer room and a 13" TV in my bedroom. I am delighted to say that all of them are rarely turned on. I am addicted to 'American Idol', but the season is over and the warm weather keeps me outdoors a great deal of the time.

I have no regrets when looking back. If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would choose NO TV!

~changing channels now~

morgetron said...

Gotta hate it when RELIGION screws up your spirituality.

Unknown said...

Yes, in deed Morgy, but the lady is of the impression that you were tuned into the wrong channel when posting.
As this is the radio (My Humps)..

~belly laugh~

morgetron said...

Yes. You're right. It's because I'm a robot. I'm prone to malfunction.

*buzzing ... whirring ... smoke-from-ears.*

*must shut down*

Off to camp...