Welcome to Hot Mama Sauce

Hot Mama Sauce ... A blog site for smart mamas, their mates, partners and anyone else interested in real mothers and their original stories.

I am your host, Morgy, but I've invited some other wickedly smart women to share their mothering triumphs, tips and, tribulations here.

I'd like this to be a place for moms ... real moms who've been through it all or are on the road to being through it all to share their stories, funny, sad, triumphant, aggravating, loving stories and everything in between, tips that worked or what not to do, successes, failures, hard times and easy times.

Friday, June 1, 2007

First Date?

All righty then moms. Weigh in on this one.

Tonight, I took my daughter to the fair with her boy friend. Not her boyfriend, but her friend who is a boy. They are both twelve. Pesky little sis was along too. There were no shenanigans or sneaking off to be alone for even a moment, but is that weird? They are only twelve and yes they are only friends, but I could see that twinkle in her friend's eye that said ... I want to take the space outta boy friend. My husband, who was in fact, at one point, a twelve-year-old boy says no way is that kid a friend ... he's a beast waiting to pounce the minute he has a chance. But I think it's good that she can maintain a friendship at this age. I was petrified of boys until I started dating my boyfriend when I was about 14. I had that same boyfriend (with one brief break-up where we both dated other people) until I was 18. We broke up one day before our daughter was born ... so I think I was still petrified of boys, even then. If only I had known then what I know now ... Boys aren't scary, unless you give them that power. But my daughter seems A. oblivious to the boy's obvious interest in being more than friends and B. totally comfortable being herself, so I feel like as long as there's some heavy supervision going on, it's okay.

We watched fire works, ate cotton candy, watched people make fools of themselves in a karaoke contest and I figure with mom and baby sis along, what could've happened, right?

Right?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Right? Right? Did you dig this question out of the chambers of the 'right brain' Or the 'left brain'?

(giggles)

I don't really have anything to contribute to the 'First Date' scenario. It saddens me when looking back that this whole part of my son's life seemed to have been skipped. Well, not seemed, it was skipped. At this stage of his life we were involved in a church and these 'real life' situations were removed from our vocabulary due to the organizations 'standards', Uuuugh, when I think back I grimace!

Now though, he is testing the waters. I have convinced myself that the young man is still in the wading pool, but we know that that is most likely a fairytale! I continually find myself reminding him to be sure and put on his life jacket before diving in though! It is all a mother can do at this point.

~biting nails~

morgetron said...

I am praying that my daughter can be some nice gay boy's cover girlfriend for high school. Then we can all help him come out of the closet after graduation.

He-he.